GREEK CHICKEN SALAD WITH TANGY GREEK DRESSING
Fresh greens, red onions, black olives, banana peppers, and feta cheese tossed with a simple homemade vinaigrette and then topped with tender marinated chicken.
Author: Heather Tullos
- For the Chicken:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 heaping tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus an additional tablespoon for cooking)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- For the Dressing:
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- For the Salad:
- 6-8 cups mixed greens
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- ¼ cup sliced banana peppers
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Place the chicken in a medium bowl. Combine the garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, plain Greek yogurt, olive oil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper, and then pour the marinade over the chicken. Toss to coat, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the dressing vigorously whisk all the ingredients together until they combine.
- Place all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and most of the marinade (it will soak into the chicken as it cooks). Cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through and slightly golden on all sides. Cook time will vary depending on how thinly you sliced your chicken. Mine usually takes about 8 minutes.
- Give the dressing another good stir, pour about ⅓ of it over the salad and toss to coat. Add more dressing to taste.
- Top the salad with the chicken and serve.